Tuesday 16 October 2012

Experimenting With Stiletto Nails

Hi folks!

     So, recently I've been very interested and curious about pointy nails, a.k.a. stiletto nails. When I first started nail tech school, we learned about all the different nail shapes on the first day. I remember thinking "ew, gross" when my teacher drew a pointy nail on the board and called it a "stiletto" shape. I thought it was creepy and weird, and wondered who would want that? Images of stabbing myself in the eye with my nail came into my mind.

     However, after being a nail tech now for a couple of years, I now understand the appeal of them and I actually think they're really cool! The trend is starting to catch on and many celebrities have been rocking long, pointy, stiletto nails. My initial dislike of the shape has transformed into a love and appreciation for a well-done stiletto design.

     Working in a salon, I see a lot of the same square and oval shapes, so it's nice to experiment with something different. I finally decided to experiment with the stiletto shape on myself. Here's how it turned out:






     I've been wearing the nails for a few weeks now and I absolutely love them! They are a lot of fun! I kind of feel like a bad-ass. They are actually pretty easy to work with. Even though they are long and pointy, I haven't had much trouble with them at all. I actually have found it pretty easy to open jewelery clasps and pick up tiny objects, because they sort of act like tweezers. The only thing I've had to adjust is taking out my contacts lenses. I did poke myself in the eye a couple times before I developed a finger-pinching technique, using the sides of my fingers, to remove contact lenses.

     One thing I did notice is that when painting them, certain designs and colours work better with this shape than others. I think that more "bad-ass" colours, like dark colours (dark black, blue, deep purple, red, etc) worked very well with this shape, while feminine colours such as pink and pale purple are a little bit more difficult to pull off.











     I think this trend is going to catch on more. I would love to see more people step out of their comfort zone and give this look a try. However, I want to hear YOUR thoughts! What do you think about this look? Would you ever wear it? Please leave me your comments below. Cheers!

-Careasa

No comments:

Post a Comment